If you don’t have the time nor the energy to cook, then an air fryer will be a convenient kitchen tool to invest in. It’s a compact, countertop oven that imitates the effects of deep-frying, but without copious amounts of oil and fat. How this works is through the machine’s heat system and fan which transmits hot air circularly within the inner chamber. The enclosed space means that there is a smaller distance between the food and the hot air circulation; this way, it’s able to cook through all the outer layers for an even crust.
Air fryers have been commonly hailed for its aptness at frying perfectly crisp french fries and other fried fast food varieties, all while providing a healthier alternative to these greasy snacks. However, if you’re hoping to create some proper dishes with this hefty cooking appliance, then continue reading for these five air fryer recipes.
Best Air Fryer Recipes For Novice Cooks To Get Started
1. Salmon Fillet
This dish is a good source of lean protein that is filling and helps preserve your muscle mass. Salmon is also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient that you can only obtain from your diet since your body can’t produce them. Have some vegetables on the side and you’ve got yourself a healthy paleo, carb-free meal to enjoy for dinner. With this air fryer recipe, all you got to do is coat and season your salmon, and then plop it into the air fryer.
- 3 Salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
- 1 small sauce bowl of lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 small sauce bowl of garlic powder
- Wash and pat the salmon dry with a paper towel.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and spread it all over the front and back of the salmon.
- Properly coat both sides of the salmon with some lemon pepper seasoning and garlic powder.
- Use a cooking spray or put oil in your air fryer basket to protect it from sticking.
- Put the salmon in the air fryer basket and set the temperature to about 182C.
- Let it cook for 10 to 12 minutes until it flakes easily with a fork.
2. Juicy Chicken Breast
Chicken breast is another healthy recipe that you can easily cook in the air fryer. It’s low in fat, even more so when you buy the skinless ones, and is filled with vitamins B and D, along with iron, zinc, and calcium. Plus, it’s a versatile meat that can be served in many different ways.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil spray
- ¾ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of dried parsley
- ⅛ cayenne pepper
- Use a pounder to hammer the chunkier side of the chicken breasts. This will ensure that the meat is evened out, so it’ll cook more easily.
- Fill a big bowl with 6 cups of lukewarm water. Then, pour in a ¼ cup of kosher salt and mix it together till diffused.
- Put in the chicken breasts into the bowl. Allow it to brine in the refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
- Once done, take the chicken breasts out, pat them dry, and throw away the brine.
- Combine your spices together with ¾ of a teaspoon of salt.
- Spray the chicken with olive oil, slathering it all over. Coat with the spice mix.
- Set the air fryer temperature to 193C and let it cook for 10 minutes. Be sure to check and turn the chicken halfway through cooking.
Sometimes, we just want to indulge in a fancy dinner, and what’s fancier than a plate of steak? This air fryer recipe takes away the headache of trying to get a perfectly seared steak and completes the job with little no effort on your part.
Recipe Ingredients (for the dry steak rub):
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of liquid smoke
- 6 ribeye cuts
- ½ cup of freshly cut up chives
- In a bowl, combine the spices and herbs together, and then proceed to coat the steaks on all sides. Put aside in a ziplock bag.
- Using a small bowl, stir your soy sauce and liquid smoke together until they’re properly fused. Pour in the ziplock bag with the steak.
- Seal the bag and then mix it around so that the marinade covers the entire steak.
- Put in the fridge for around 30 minutes to an hour.
- Place a separate grill plate in the air fryer basket, and preheat the air fryer to 200C for 5 minutes.
- Put the steak into the air fryer and cook for 6 minutes.
- Let it rest for a few minutes before serving and then top it off with a sprinkling of chives.
4. Roasted Vegetables
Roasted vegetables are a nice, nutritious touch to add to your meat dishes. They break up the rich and heavy flavours from the meat by adding their own sweet and tangy taste to the meal. What’s even better is that they typically don’t require that much preparation, and this air fryer recipe makes roasting vegetables even easier.
Recipe Ingredients (for tender vegetables):
- Heat up the air fryer to around 375F (190C).
- Cut up the vegetables into small chunks and coat with olive oil.
- Place the vegetables into an even layer into the air fryer basket. Try not to let them overlap with each other.
- Let it cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
For firm vegetables, like potatoes, beetroots, carrots, and pumpkin, repeat the first three steps, but let it cook for a longer time, around 20 to 30 minutes instead. As for frozen vegetables, determine the type they fall into, be it tender or firm, and then add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
5. (Non-Halal) Siew Yoke
Siew Yoke is famous for its crispy, crackling skin on top with soft, juicy meat on the bottom. It’s a delicious, savoury meat dish that never disappoints. This air fryer recipe will save you the trip to your local hawker stall (and save you money from ordering delivery) because it’s sure to be a dinner or lunch regular in your home-cooking menu.
- 1kg of pork belly
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tablespoon of five-spice powder
- 1 cup of salt (to remove the moisture from the skin)
- Rinse and wash the pork under cold water.
- Use a paper towel to pat it dry.
- Create small slices at the sides (three on each) of the pork belly.
- Fully stuff the garlic cloves into the slits.
- Spread the five-spice powder all over the meat side till coated thoroughly, and wrap the meat side with aluminium foil
- Layer the cup of salt evenly over the skin side.
- Pour boiling water into the air fryer for an easy cleaning process later on.
- Preheat the air fryer at 190C for 5 minutes, then put the pork belly into the air fryer.
- Cook in the air fryer at 190C for 35 minutes.
- Take it out of the air fryer to remove the salt crust and the aluminium foil.
- Place it back into the air fryer, set the temperature to 200C, and cook for 25 minutes.
- If your pork belly came with slits, then allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.
Simplify Your Cooking Process With Air Fryer Recipes And Other Easy Methods
We hope our air fryer recipe list has provided you with meal ideas that will motivate you to get cooking. If you don’t have an air fryer and are considering purchasing one, be sure to take into consideration the size capacity and what you plan on using it for to suit your kitchen needs. Don’t forget to check out our simple roast chicken and microwave mug cake recipes for other easy-to-prep dishes!